NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
Blue-Eyed Bride has moved to BlueEyedBride {dot} com. Please update your Readers and join me!

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

i've got a fever...

...and the only prescription is more Olympics!

I've always loved the Olympics. The John Williams theme music, the Whitney Houston "One Moment in Time," Celine Dion's "The Power of the Dream," the U-S-A chanting, and pretty much everything about it. I love that there is 'round the clock coverage and in the age of DVR and Tivo it is so much easier to keep up with what is going on.

Todd admitted that he's never been a fan of the Olympics because he doesn't care about any of the sports. Translation: they don't play American Football at the Olympics.

When I was 2 years old, Mary Lou Retton came to LSU and we went to watch her. I was amazed and my Olympic love took over. I would put on my little white Nikes with the blue swoosh with my navy gym shorts and pigtails and run into the room and clumsily do a forward roll. My mom would yell, "Yay, Mary Lou!"



I can remember cheering for Kim Zmeskal at the 1992 games in Barcelona when Shannon Miller was getting all of the glory.



I can remember cheering with Bela Karoli, "You can do it!" to Kerri Strug when she had to complete the second vault after seriously injuring her ankle in the first vault. Then the team won gold and were quickly named, "The Magnificent Seven."


I've been glued to the TV since Friday night's opening ceremonies (which were incredible) and I've been particularly interested in swimming, synchronized diving, women's beach volleyball, and of course, men's and women's gymnastics. Our men pulled out a Bronze medal last night and I'm hoping our women can capture the gold tonight. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks that those Chinese girls are way too young to be there.


I really love watching Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor in beach volleyball and of course, Michael Phelps in swimming. He's crazy fast!




I think that my enthusiasm has rubbed off on Todd a little bit and he actually said, "You know, I've never liked the Olympics, but I'm starting to get in to it."


When I asked what changed his mind, he said that it was the men's 400m freestyle relay. Well, if that won't change your mind, I don't know what will!