NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
Blue-Eyed Bride has moved to BlueEyedBride {dot} com. Please update your Readers and join me!

Monday, April 28, 2008

our songs

Music is such an important and influential part of my life. There was always music playing in my house growing up and it was always from the most random mix of genres. Choosing the songs for our wedding ceremony and for the first dance and father/daughter dance was a pretty hard task.

Todd and I have lots of songs that are "our songs," but I didn't really want to dance to any of those. I wanted something a little more timeless and classic for our wedding. When Todd and I met, we fell in love very quickly. I would sometimes say "fools rush in" and it reminded me of the Elvis song, "Can't Help Falling in Love." The melody is so sweet and there is definitely no pressure when it comes to dancing to that song. I wanted us to dance to a song where we could just sway with each other and talk about the ceremony and what is going on at the reception. I know we'll appreciate that time to talk before the chaos starts!

My dad and I also have lots of songs that are "our songs." Our first song was, "You're the Inspiration" by Chicago. I couldn't really imagine our band playing that song and I definitely didn't want a recording of it. My dad and I love "Your Song" by Elton John because of its conversational tone. We often call each other and say, "anyway, the thing is... what I really mean..." The lyrics to that song always make us laugh and always make me think of my dad. Our friend will be singing the song and playing the piano, making it that much more special.

As far as our ceremony goes, we've chosen some sacred songs. We're having "The Prayer", "Seekers of Your Heart," "Shine on Us," and "Doxology." I'm also having "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" played during the prelude and during our vows.

Music is one of the few ways that I found we could incorporate our personalities into the ceremony, and I'm so excited about the selections we've chosen.